Field to Fork – The Art of Sustainable Living
May 27th – 31st & September 9th – 13th 2020, Cornwall, UK
Join us for a four day experience of living on the land & connecting to the natural world.
Leave everything behind and come to Harewood Farm to sink deep into the heart of the Tamar Valley; one of the UK’s Areas of Outstanding Beauty.
Grow, forage, cook, move your body and slow down your mind. Be surrounded by the simple lessons and the clarity of thought that comes from being in nature.
Today we all want to find ways to be more sustainable and self reliant in the world we are living in. There has never been a more potent time to explore the skills of growing food, gaining knowledge about which plants you can safely pick from the wild and the understanding of how to turn beautiful produce into nutritious meals.
This is an experience that awakens more than we can share with you by listing a schedule. At its heart Field to Fork is about:
– that happy release of endorphins that comes from getting your hands in the earth, pulling roots, plucking leaves and snapping pods.
– the peaceful focus that arises when you spend time on garden jobs like sowing seeds or gently preparing the ground for new life.
– how joyful it feels to walk from the vegetable plot or the hedgerow straight into the kitchen with armfuls of freshly picked beautiful ingredients, and to cook them together, into a feast to be shared.
– spending time with a feeling of space and connection to our hearts which our modern lives have forgotten.
– remembering that the lives we live can move towards a kinder more gentle relationship with ourselves and with the world around us.
During the course we roll up our sleeves and work together on seasonal tasks in the gardens and polytunnel, such as;
- sow, tend and harvest your own delicious produce
- create seasonal meals with cooking classes in our field kitchen
- spend time foraging for and connecting to wild foods
- immerse in yoga, meditation and mindfulness practices
- permaculture models of a ‘circular economy’
- the importance of soil health
- creating resources from waste
- understanding successional sowing
- growing food in limited space
Harewood Farm in Calstock, East Cornwall, is in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
It offers the perfect setting to switch off and unplug from busy day to day lives and enjoy being nourished by nature.
May 27th – 31st
This Field to Fork Event takes place in late Spring; the season that nurtures new growth. This course will have a larger focus on growing your own, and will also include elements of foraging, as well as the cooking of course! For a more foraging focussed course, see our sister event later in the year.
Sep 9th – 13th
This Field to Fork Event takes place in late Summer; the season that brings about abundance and harvest.
This course will have a larger focus on foraging, as well as growing your own and of course the cooking! For a more growing focussed course, see our sister event earlier in the year.
Your HKA Facilitators:
This year the Field to Fork courses are taught and guided by Jo Tytherleigh and Kate Allen, aka the Hare and the Crow.
Jo’s relationship to food is found through connection to her environment. Life has become deeply informed by the intimate relationship she has with the landscape around her, the changing seasons, being out in the elements and nurturing growth.
Kate finds her connection to the natural world and to wild things through cooking, fermenting, and foraging. Plants for her create a personal medicine and a wisdom of belonging.
What brings Jo and Kate together perfectly as a team is their vision to support people in regaining control over their food choices and sharing knowledge that enables people to tread more gently upon our beautiful planet.
For those who want to fully immerse themselves in this experience there is the option to camp on the land. Here you can take advantage of our hot water inside-out shower and our compost loos with a view! Some camping equipment is available. We can discuss your requirements.
Camping at Harewood Farm with your own equipment and bedding – £10 per night
Alternatively, there are comfortable B&B options in the local village of Calstock that we recommend and can organise for you.
Course – £355 per person. Click the link below to reserve your space now with a £100 deposit!
* Price includes all tuition, meals, drinks and snacks
* Full recipe pack and course notes from the weekend
* Take away treats such as ferments, pickles, preserves
Price does not include accommodation or travel costs.
Deposit is non refundable and non transferable.
Arrival & Departure
Arrival is ideally between 2pm and 4pm on the course start date, allowing time to settle in and orient yourself. Particularly if you are camping, you will want time to set up. Drinks and snacks will be available from 4.30pm and a welcome gathering at 5pm.
Breakfast will be provided on the departure morning and you can plan to leave throughout the day at any time, depending on your travel arrangements.
Getting to Harewood Farm:
The postcode at Harewood Farm is PL18 9SQ. Once we know if you are planning to arrive by car, we will send out detailed instructions about how to find us.
The village of Calstock is on a direct line from Plymouth, the journey is one of the most picturesque in the country and takes approx half an hour. Plymouth is 3 and a half hours from London Paddington. Upon arrival at Calstock we will collect you from the station for the 5 minute journey to Harewood Farm.
There is a bus that runs into Calstock from Tavistock or Callington, the nearest towns. We can collect anyone arriving into the village and transport them to the farm.
Terms & Conditions
- Deposit is required to secure your space. Deposit is non refundable and non transferable.
- Final balance is due 60 days before the course start date.
- If you need to cancel your booking, please notify us in writing as soon as possible. Cancellation is effective from the date we receive written notification.
- For cancellations made within two weeks of the course, we are unable to offer a refund, but you are welcome to give or transfer your place to a friend.
- We reserve the right to postpone or cancel a course or change a course leader in the event of illness or for any other reason. We will refund in full any fees paid.